Sunday, October 6, 2013

Five Minutes' Peace

Today we read "Five Minutes' Peace" by Jill Murphy.

Five Minutes Peace

This is a book that my mother read to my sisters and I when we were kids. I have a lot of fond memories of this book and trying to understand the concept that mommy might sometimes WANT to have time alone. I always loved the tea cup and its dainty handle. And, who couldn't love these sweet little elephant children?!

Five Minutes Peace

There are lots of great Mother's Day ideas out there of what to do and talk about when you read this book with your kids from Bright Hub EducationTwiggle Magazine and I am sure a hundred other websites.

I think Mother's Day should be celebrated year round, so we read this book often! I like to talk to my girls about what they can do on their own when mommy needs a few minutes. I have found it helpful to have activities available and accessible so that they can keep themselves happy and entertained (safely) unattended for a short amount of time.

Our favorites right now are coloring at the art table in the kitchen, playing (of course!) with their blocks, dolls or other toys that are always available, looking at picture books, or dressing up. Sometimes it is helpful to remember that you have options. A fun idea would be to have a box of things to do that are ONLY available when mommy needs five minutes peace... not a bad idea! I need to do that :)





No comments:

Post a Comment