Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Have You Seen Trees? and A Tree Is Nice

Today we read two books: "Have You Seen Trees"  by Joanne Oppenheim and "A Tree Is Nice" by Janice May Udry.

Have You Seen Trees and A Tree is Nice

We love trees (doesn't everyone?) and it is fun to read about fall trees since here in Texas our trees don't really change color... they just fall off one day - usually in winter!

Have You Seen Trees and A Tree is Nice

These two books have lovely illustrations and talk not only about how trees look and change throughout the year, but also about how they help us stay cool, protect us, and provide food and homes for animals.

Have You Seen Trees and A Tree is Nice

As our activity, we did dot paintings of fall trees. I saw this idea on Pinterest recently and thought it would work well for my kids. I don't really think about process art versus product art. I personally don't feel like wasting brain power trying to figure out what type is ultimately better for my child's development... so when planning activities I don't think much about that (just so everyone knows). I do however try to let my children express themselves... I don't tell them they are "doing it wrong" or fuss at them if the product is not quite what I planned, I just want them to experience the process and have fun. I do like to try to teach them different techniques as learning skills and following directions is a part of life.

Have You Seen Trees and A Tree is Nice

Helen was pretty careful about her dot placement at first, Clare enjoyed painting the tree limbs :)

Have You Seen Trees and A Tree is Nice

Later, Helen added a child and a dog to her picture - so sweet!

Have You Seen Trees and A Tree is Nice

Then my girls continued to paint (as one painting is never enough). Helen on her own decided to paint a winter snow tree and a summer tree with flowers. love.

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment